If you’ve ever found yourself in disarray over what gift to buy the motorbike enthusiast in your life, you’re not alone. Finding the perfect gift for someone with a four-stroke heartbeat can be a challenging head-scratcher — especially for retro, custom and classic bike riders.
But fear not, we’ve compiled a list of five DOs and DON’Ts to steer you in the right direction and earn you a spot in the good books.
If you’re ready to delve deeper, this meticulously curated list of 26 retro-inspired gift ideas awaits. It’s been crafted with classic, custom and retro motorcycle riders in mind, offering a range of choice.
Defining Retro, Custom and Classic Riders’ Preferences
To the outsider, all motorbike riders may belong to a homogeneous group of boisterous, leather-clad road users. But under the banner of motorcyclist exist many unique sub-groups. Each with its own unmistakable style and unspoken principles.
Modern-classic, neo-retro, custom vintage and classic riders can be grouped into a larger sub-group of riders that share similar tastes. And they’re probably one of the trickiest of all the two-wheel cohorts for which to buy motorcycle gifts.
If you’re not a motorbiker yourself, you may be wondering what type of motorcycle gear and accessories this group of riders favour. The answer is several distinctive styles.
Characteristically, this cohort goes for understated classic design, leaning towards natural materials, shapes and colours. Alternatively, they opt for minimalistic, contemporary or ultra-high-design items.
In each case, riders of such machines may be slightly more particular about the type of brands and products/services they purchase.
For example, you’re unlikely to ever see such a rider in full Street Rossi, Storm-Trooper garb. Unless he or she is running a machine in one of the classes of the (BSMC) Café Racer Cup. And even then it’s likely to be a vintage style racer suit.
You get the picture; finding the perfect gift for a motorcycle lover is a tricky affair.
So it stands to reason that picking out a gift for a biker of this ilk should be carefully considered. And it’s with that in mind, that this list of gifts has been composed.
Motobike Gifts for Retro Bike Riders: DOs & DON’Ts
The rider you are buying the gift for may be a workshop tinkerer or the kind who lives for the open road. Regardless keep the following tips in mind as a starting point to pick out the perfect present.
1. Do consider the era of their motorcycle and riding ethos. Gifts that echo the spirit of their favourite riding era, whether it’s a classic British twin or an Italian cafe racer, can be incredibly impactful.
2. Do invest in heritage and craftsmanship. Whether it’s a hand-stitched leather saddlebag or a custom-painted helmet, quality craftsmanship speaks volumes and endures the test of time and travel.
3. Do prioritize protective gear with a vintage twist. Look for brands that integrate modern safety technology into gear that exudes a classic look. It’s the perfect fusion of old-school style and new-school safety.
4. Do add a touch of bespoke. From monogrammed toolkits to tailored riding jackets, custom details show an extra level of care and consideration for the rider’s unique style.
5. Do ensure a snug fit. Properly fitting gear is paramount for comfort and safety on the road. If gifting clothing, use their existing gear as a guide or consider gift cards from premium brands to ensure a perfect match.
1. Don’t skimp on quality for a lower price point. Riders know their gear, and second-rate items can be a sore point. Invest in reputable brands known for their commitment to the biker lifestyle.
2. Don’t duplicate without due diligence. Check their garage, and wish lists. Alternatively, casually bring up gear talk to gauge what they need or want to upgrade without giving the game away.
3. Don’t disregard the specifics of safety certification. Always ensure that any protective gear you buy is up-to-scratch with the latest standards, offering peace of mind along with style.
4. Don’t underestimate the value of ergonomic design. Comfort is king on long rides, so look for gear that’s been rider-tested for ergonomics and comfort without sacrificing the retro aesthetic they love.
5. Don’t hesitate to seek expertise. If you’re feeling out of your depth, consult with motorcycle gear experts or riding buddies. Perhaps, even bring the rider along for a “just browsing” session to uncover subtle hints about preferences.
Okay, you’ve navigated the fundamental DOs and DON’Ts of choosing gifts for the motorbike enthusiast — a vital first step in ensuring your present hits the mark.
If you’ve already formulated some ideas view our guide to retro motorcycle gear retailers for where to buy your gifts.